August was slippery. Where did it go? All of the people in my life were like ships passing in the night.
Things I want to do weekly:
- Exercise 4x a week: 15 WIP classes plus a big hike. So that gets close. I did take a much needed week to sleep in and do nothing. That was super nice.
- Give kids weekly allowance: Nope. As we totally abandoned the idea of allowance over the summer, the girls realized it had been a while since we did the allowance thing reliably. I also thought about how money was making them more demanding. I’ve been a little happy we haven’t picked it back up. Now we have to think about how to reinstate this as a project for the family.
- Do one act of kindness each week: Huzzah! One good act of kindness for the month. Sent a care package to a friend from high school recovering from major surgery.
- Read one full length article in a magazine every week: Nope.
Things to do every month:
- Regular library trips: We are back in the swing of library visits. I am so happy to reconnect with books after July when the kids were too tired to read at night (or anytime really).
- 2 Yoga classes: Zero yoga classes. I feel regretful that I didn’t go to beach yoga once while we were away but I also loved sleeping in.
- Read 2 books: Yes!
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (this one was life changing)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling (yes, I am one of the two people in the world who hasn’t read it)
- Write 2 blog posts: locked down one blog post and made false starts on several others. September is going to be soooo productive!!
- Choose outside: We spent so much of the month outside including a week at the beach. And once we were back from the beach, we went to this awesome community event called Hike to the Mic, a concert on top of a mountain ridge. We followed it up with an outdoor bike festival in our town center.
- 1 date night: I keep wracking my brain and have concluded this didn’t happen. I’m sad we didn’t have any alone time at all. To work on in September.
Some other great stuff that happened this month:
- Girls’ weekend with my daughters
- Yearly trip to Chatham on Cape Cod
- Eating corn (it’s the season)
- Hike to the Mic
- Center Streets (bike festival)
- The kids return to school to start first and third grade!
Now it’s September. Another great month in 2017….
I agree with you about taking a week to do nothing. It’s wonderfully restorative! I’m in the middle of a week’s break from work – no plans, no pressures. Just time to relax, read, write and enjoy time outside. And I did a Pilates workout yesterday, so I felt like I’ve achieved something. 😀
One of my friends is reading The Underground Railroad at the moment and it sounds amazing. Definitely one to add to my list. 🙂