I love the start of the month because it feels like days and days are stretched out in front of you, and everything that could go according to plan just might.
And then whoosh, it’s over. I’ve barely started to date things 2017 instead of 2016 and already it’s March.
So here’s where things stand after two months:
Things I want to do weekly:
- Exercise 4x a week: CHECK. This past month I actually noticed some small moments of growth in the gym. Moving up in weights, more stamina. It was satisfying to see.
- Give kids weekly allowance: CHECK. I prepped two months worth of allowance envelopes back in December so we will see if a calendar reminder is enough. The girls are getting into a groove of saving, too.
- Do one act of kindness each week: I did accomplish ONE (total) act of kindness–sending socks to my cousin and my sister. My mom used to buy our socks and now to show we sometimes surprise each other with socks. It’s something but I really need to plan in this department.
- Read one full length article in a magazine every week: NOT EXACTLY. I may need to make this more actionable for myself. I am in a reading rut after a productive month of January and am in the middle of many articles and books but not closing the deal on any one of them.
Things to do every month:
- Regular library trips: We had two library trips–we hadn’t been to our main library in a long time and the girls loved everything the children’s room had to offer. So regular library trips will be easy now.
- 2 Yoga classes: I went to one barre class. Barre is this pilates meets ballet meets yoga. It was not something I would rush to do again but it was a fun workout. Not the meditation I needed but great stretching. I also loved the coffee with my friend afterwards.
- Read 2 books: NOPE. This is where I feel most disappointed. I spent two weeks trying to start Lolita, this month’s assignment for book club. I couldn’t get into it (I wasn’t alone) and it derailed all of the good January reading inertia. So I switched gears and started reading some other things. I will probably get through several more books next month.
- Write 2 blog posts: NOPE. February was a tough month politically. By the time I organized any thoughts on one topic, another major news story broke. I spent the month consuming and processing news. I did lots of writing this month (an op-ed, public hearing testimony), just not that much sharing. The result: several drafts close to finished which means I will have lots to share or pitch this month.
- Choose outside: YES! Went for a snowshoe/walk with a friend
- Savings: No movement on this yet
- 1 date night: YES! Husband and I went to see La La Land after I mistakenly booked a sitter for an event that is actually in March. So super for us!
- Invited to contribute a book chapter for a project on alt-academics
- Story pitched was rejected but had a productive conversation with storytelling friend about it and feel ready to rework and pitch again.
- Self care: mani and pedi to celebrate a dear friend’s 40th birthday. A nice upshot: I have kept my nails looking super nice!
March is already looking busy. We celebrate my daughter’s 8th birthday and reflect on what would have been my mother’s 70th birthday. We have lots of events including the first Girl Scout dance where I get to be a VIP, too!
In like a lion…..
I like your structure of evaluating your goals each month. Maybe I should start doing that and noting down monthly progress on my goals for the year. The months seem to go by before I know it!
The barre class sounds fun. I started doing Pilates last year and I love it. It always leaves me feeling like I’ve had a good workout and I like the theory behind Pilates as well.
I hear you re: wanting to read more books. I only managed to read two in January and February.