The final countdown is over. I’m flummoxed at the pace of the year, especially this last month. We saw family, spent time out-of-town, and celebrated holidays. Most Decembers are shiny and bright and this one did not disappoint.
I checked a few things off the list:
- Exercise (make room for one non-WIP workout per week): 15 WIP workouts plus two snowshoe hikes.
- Allowance for the kids: Nada times ten. Need to plan for next year.
- Read 30 books this year: Read 2 books this month.
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
- Write regularly: As in every month, I have been writing. This month I finished a few short essays with thoughts on the year in friendship and reading. I am looking forward to developing a good writing practice in 2019.
- 1 hike per month, preferably with the kids: 2 tremendous hikes: 1 mid-mountain snowshoe hike with a group and a solo hike up the summit at Stratton Mountain. Felt super proud.
- 1 date night: We had a day date on more than one Sunday morning while our girls were at Hebrew school. This counts as alone time.
- Donate blood 6 times: I did not make this final blood donation. Though I was eligible after the 5th of the month, life was crazy and towards the end of the month I got shut out of donating because of a cold. Even though I am disappointed, I am proud of making another five donations this year.
- Volunteer once a month: Dog rescue volunteering at an event early this month.
- Self care (once per quarter): Got a great massage while away with my family. The therapist said I need them regularly. That’s the price I pay for waiting all year.
- Experiment with podcasting: Pricing out equipment. No movement.
- Find new opportunities to speak in front of an audience: No progress this month.
- Capture my “best thing all week” every week all year long (52 total): Going strong.
- Financial planning for the household: Holding.
- Get our unfinished rooms completed: This is now officially a 2019 project.
- Crochet regularly: Lots of crocheting while we were traveling this month.
Additional December highlights:
- Family trip with sister’s family to the Poconos
- Banner event at work
- Girls’ dance showcase events
- Seeing oldest’s first concert
- Celebrating Hannukah
- Trip to Stratton Mountain with my littles
- Incredible overnight visit from my oldest friend and her daughter
Time to set some goals for 2019…